Construction of the moat - Sources

xiii. Appropriacio ecclesie de Brenchesle. [A.D. 1226-35.] For a transcript see www.archive.org/stream/canterburyyork48unknuoft/
canterburyyork48unknuoft_djvu.txt

xiv. For background information on moats see ‘Moated sites: their definition, form and classification’ by CC Taylor, available on www.ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/cbaresrep’pdf/017/01702001.pdf and also ‘Moated Sites’ by David Willson publ. Shire Publications Ltd ISBN 0 85263 756 X

xv. We can be sure that the moat still existed on the south-eastern side during 1867 as there is an engraving that dates from that year, showing water on the fourth side. The Women’s Institute history states that the fourth side was in-filled in 1844 but this must be incorrect.

xvi. Taken from the Office Copy entries at the Land Registry dated July 1985, but possibly drawn up at an earlier date.